[Coral-List] New paper on the effects of nitrate enrichment and temperature stress on coral larvae

Serrano, Xaymara M xserrano at rsmas.miami.edu
Mon Jan 22 10:21:21 EST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to our recent paper in Coral Reefs entitled “Effects of thermal stress and nitrate enrichment on the larval performance of two Caribbean reef corals”, where we investigated the performance of coral larvae from the species Orbicella faveolata and Porites astreoides under increased temperature and/or elevated dissolved inorganic nitrogen (DIN). We used a novel fluorescence-based respirometer to measure the oxygen consumption of coral larvae from both species, and assessed the effects of these stressors on P. astreoides larval settlement and mortality. Overall, we show how microplate respirometry can be successfully used to assess changes in respiration of coral larvae, and our findings suggest that the effects of thermal stress and nitrate enrichment may be species-specific and are neither additive nor synergistic for O. faveolata or P. astreoides larvae. These findings may have important consequences for the recruitment and community reassembly of corals to nutrient-polluted reefs that have been impacted by climate change.

Below is the citation and link to access the abstract. Please reach out if you have any trouble accessing the paper.

Serrano, X.M., Miller, M.W., Hendee, J.C. et al. Effects of thermal stress and nitrate enrichment on the larval performance of two Caribbean reef corals. Coral Reefs (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00338-017-1645-y
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00338-017-1645-y?wt_mc=Internal.Event.1.SEM.ArticleAuthorOnlineFirst

Thanks,

Xaymara M. Serrano, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Associate