[Coral-List] opportunity for coral biologist
coryphopterus at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 04:24:42 EST 2018
Please let me share the following job vacancy for a coral biologist
Title Reefscapers Coral Biologist (full
time, annual renewable contract)
Location Marine Discovery Centre, Four Seasons
Resort Landaa Giraavaru, Baa Atoll, Maldives
Apply Before 01 February 2018
Start Date March 2018
Contact Dr Annemarie Kramer, MDC Manager:
mdcmanager.mlg at fourseasons.com
Websites Reefscapers.com <http://reefscapers.com/> ;
MarineSavers.com <http://marinesavers.com/> ; facebook.com/MarineSavers
We are seeking a motivated, out-going Coral Biologist to join our team of
dedicated conservationists at our Marine Discovery Centre (MDC), based at
Four Seasons Resort Landaa Giraavaru in the Maldives.
Coral Biologist Role
· Manage all aspects of our Coral Propagation Programme and
· Maintain our coral frame database and provide photo updates for
· Collect coral fragments to create new frames; maintain and
monitor/photograph existing frames.
· Write monthly illustrated reports (in English) for resort
management and to feature on our websites.
· Conduct marine life briefings and guided snorkels for guests and
journalists; devise new guest activities.
· Supervise and train our junior staff; proactively improve
procedures and health & safety across the MDC.
· Work with colleagues to explore new research ideas for coral
propagation and the wider marine biology field.
· BSc/MSc/PhD in Marine Sciences (Marine Biology, Environmental
· Experience in coral conservation & research, coral ID, reef
propagation, awareness/education programmes.
· Effective communication skills, particularly written/spoken
English (extra languages desirable).
· Excellent team player, able to work closely alongside colleagues
and unsupervised under own initiative.
· Confident swimmer with SCUBA certification (PADI Dive Master
desirable); boat driving license (preferred).
· Physically fit non-smoker, able to carry 20kg weight and work
long hours daily in the lagoon under full sun.
· Accurate computer skills and Excel numeracy; experience of
· Positive, professional attitude; self-disciplined; good time
management; resort experience (preferred).
Salary and Benefits
· The salary for this position is $1000 USD per month (plus a small
· Working hours 09:00 to 18:00 with occasional evenings; 6 days
(one off day) per week; 36 days annual leave.
· Basic DAN dive insurance (sports diver bronze).
· Uniform; staff canteen meals; shared same-sex staff accommodation.
· Annual return home flight, plus one return flight after six
months (from Maldives to a regional international hub).
· Official high standards of dress code and behaviour apply at all
times (copy provided upon selection). This includes maintaining a
professional appearance and a helpful attitude towards resort guests and
Application process – please read carefully
Email your CV and cover letter (as PDF file/s with your name in the
Dr. Annemarie Kramer, MDC Manager – mdcmanager.mlg at fourseasons.com
Include in your application:
a) “Coral Biologist” position
b) why you would be good for this role
c) contact details for 2 referees
d) where you saw the vacancy advertised
Only short listed candidates will be contacted (we may add you to our
emailing list for future vacancies)
Dr. Annemarie Kramer
Marine Discovery Centre Manager
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru
Baa Atoll - a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve
Republic of Maldives
Voice : (960) 66 00 888, ext: 8640
Fax : (960) 66 00 800
More information about the Coral-List