[Coral-List] opportunity for coral biologist

Annemarie Kramer coryphopterus at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 04:24:42 EST 2018

Please let me share the following job vacancy for a coral biologist

Coral Biologist

Title                                    Reefscapers Coral Biologist (full
time, annual renewable contract)

Location                             Marine Discovery Centre, Four Seasons
Resort Landaa Giraavaru, Baa Atoll, Maldives

Apply Before                    01 February 2018

Start Date                        March 2018

Contact                            Dr Annemarie Kramer, MDC Manager:
mdcmanager.mlg at fourseasons.com

Websites                Reefscapers.com <http://reefscapers.com/> ;
MarineSavers.com <http://marinesavers.com/> ; facebook.com/MarineSavers
<https://www.facebook.com/MarineSavers>

We are seeking a motivated, out-going Coral Biologist to join our team of
dedicated conservationists at our Marine Discovery Centre (MDC), based at
Four Seasons Resort Landaa Giraavaru in the Maldives.
Coral Biologist Role

·         Manage all aspects of our Coral Propagation Programme and
associated activities.

·         Maintain our coral frame database and provide photo updates for
guest-sponsored frames.

·         Collect coral fragments to create new frames; maintain and
monitor/photograph existing frames.

·         Write monthly illustrated reports (in English) for resort
management and to feature on our websites.

·         Conduct marine life briefings and guided snorkels for guests and
journalists; devise new guest activities.

·         Supervise and train our junior staff; proactively improve
procedures and health & safety across the MDC.

·         Work with colleagues to explore new research ideas for coral
propagation and the wider marine biology field.

*Candidate Specification*

·         BSc/MSc/PhD in Marine Sciences (Marine Biology, Environmental
Science).

·         Experience in coral conservation & research, coral ID, reef
propagation, awareness/education programmes.

·         Effective communication skills, particularly written/spoken
English (extra languages desirable).

·         Excellent team player, able to work closely alongside colleagues
and unsupervised under own initiative.

·         Confident swimmer with SCUBA certification (PADI Dive Master
desirable); boat driving license (preferred).

·         Physically fit non-smoker, able to carry 20kg weight and work
long hours daily in the lagoon under full sun.

·         Accurate computer skills and Excel numeracy; experience of
databases (preferred).

·         Positive, professional attitude; self-disciplined; good time
management; resort experience (preferred).
Salary and Benefits

·         The salary for this position is $1000 USD per month (plus a small
commission).

·         Working hours 09:00 to 18:00 with occasional evenings; 6 days
(one off day) per week; 36 days annual leave.

·         Basic DAN dive insurance (sports diver bronze).

·         Uniform; staff canteen meals; shared same-sex staff accommodation.

·         Annual return home flight, plus one return flight after six
months (from Maldives to a regional international hub).

·         Official high standards of dress code and behaviour apply at all
times (copy provided upon selection). This includes maintaining a
professional appearance and a helpful attitude towards resort guests and
fellow staff.

Application process – please read carefully

Email your CV and cover letter (as PDF file/s with your name in the
filename) to:

Dr. Annemarie Kramer, MDC Manager – mdcmanager.mlg at fourseasons.com

Include in your application:

a)      “Coral Biologist” position

b)      why you would be good for this role

c)      contact details for 2 referees

d)      where you saw the vacancy advertised

Only short listed candidates will be contacted (we may add you to our
emailing list for future vacancies)

Dr. Annemarie Kramer

Marine Discovery Centre Manager

Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru

Baa Atoll - a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve

Republic of Maldives

Voice : (960) 66 00 888, ext: 8640

Fax : (960) 66 00 800