[Coral-List] Footprint calculator and coral troubles

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 19:45:14 EST 2018

     People are making lots of good points.
     I would totally agree that "limits" have their own limits.  In their
defense, having laws beats anarchy any day.  Places like Somalia being an
example.  Limits in conservation certainly do work at specific times and
places.  Automobile emission standards being an example (a recent case of
VW trying to evade the laws not withstanding).  The US clean water and
clean air acts have had a significant impact in the US, air and water there
would be much more polluted without them.  But it is a top-down approach
that doesn't work everywhere and all the time.  Even in developed
countries, few people obey speed limits on highways, although speed limits
usually do affect speeds, most people just go a little faster than the
limit, whatever the limit is.
      But compliance may be much higher when it is possible to find
alternatives for people that get them what they want or need, without
causing the environmental impacts.  For instance, people often try to find
"alternative livelihoods" for those that fish in heavily overfished areas
of developing countries.  That is much easier said than done, not at all
easy, but when possible opens a path people will chose voluntarily.  Hiring
fishermen as spotters or dive guides in areas with dive tourism, for
example.  As solar power prices come down, at some point it becomes cheaper
than fossil fuel, and power companies and individuals choose to switch
over.  That won't happen any time soon for some other types of energy use
because renewables are not cheaper at this time for those uses.
      For people in developed economies, asking people to reduce
consumption is something I think will not move many people.  However, there
is a "minimalist" movement that has a powerful argument, that people who
live a more minimalist life (less consumption) are freed up from the "rat
race" of having to kill yourself to earn more money so you can buy stuff
you don't need.  That has the potential for broad appeal, once there are
people who are enjoying life more by not wasting and so not needing to kill
themselves working on jobs they hate to earn more money to "keep up with
the Joneses."  Minimalistst say they enjoy life more, more free time and
might start people thinking, "more free time, enjoy life more, by not
buying loads of stuff we never use" and that might sound attractive.
      Cheers,  Doug

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 9:46 AM, Carin Jantzen <carin.jantzen at gmx.net>
wrote:

> Thanks for your thoughtful mail, Robert! You have addressed many aspects
> how to deal with conservation in face of ongoing climate change and you
> have suggested some valuable strategies how to tackle those challenges,
> including climate change itself. I couldn’t agree more, and, as I am
> truly no expert here, there may be many more aspects we need to address
> and solutions we need to come up with. In my opinion, most of this may
> only work if it will be enforced by our politicians, whereby the ones of
> the obvious more privileged so-called western world should take the
> first step. I am not sure, if this has been really the case so far – in
> a sense it has, thinking about climate summits, Paris agreement etc.,
> but we could be some steps ahead already (at least in my opinion). And
> we are not forced to wait for that. At least in countries where you are
> allowed to vote freely, you may do so according to your conviction. And
> there are more options to express your will, like demonstrations,
> writing to local politicians, taking action within an NGO, sign
> petitions, talking to people, etc...
>
> There is one point, where I personally disagree, I do not believe
> 'politics of limits' may work well anywhere. I may have been too
> cautious to express this clearly. In my opinion, it does not even work
> for most of the people who would have the chance to accomplish a change
> in their behavior quite easily - people, well informed, concerned about
> conservation, free to act, healthy and wealthy enough... why? Are we
> taking this not serious enough in the end?
>
> Sadly, humans tend to act only when forced to. Reading some articles
> about the disturbing war going on in Syria for too long, I several times
> stumbled across statements made by experts of the political situation in
> this area, that one of the ultimate reasons for some of the conflicts
> was the shortage of water, in turn, already caused by the ongoing
> climate change. Again, I am not at all an expert on this, but if this is
> true (and probably even if its not), it may give us an idea of what
> could happen in the future; same for the many refugees that drown in the
> Mediterranean Sea and elsewhere. How many wars will there be about
> drinking water in the future? How do you envision life on earth in 30
> years? I stop here.
>
> How could we tackle this overwhelming threat if we are not even willing
> to undergo some comparatively small changes in our own behavior while
> calling out for action at the same time? We may need to work on this
> more together. I absolutely appreciate Francesca`s idea that we take the
> challenge to calculate our own ecological footprint. To think about our
> own behaviors and how we may be able to act. Of course not only in our
> private life, but that’s a reasonable starting point to me.
>
> Taking all into account, we may not have reasons to be too optimistic,
> but I refuse to loose hope. As I said, we humans are quite inventive
> [...]

Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS Protected Species, and consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

New online open-access field guide to 300 coral species in Chagos, Indian
Ocean
http://chagosinformationportal.org/corals

Even without El Nino, 2017 temperatures soared.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/01/even-without-el-ni-o-2017-temperatures-still-soared?utm_campaign=news_weekly_2018-01-19&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=1800664

Coral reefs are bleaching too frequently to recover
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/01/the-global-scourge-on-coral-reefs/549713/?utm_source=atlfb

How to save the "tropical rainforests" of the ocean
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/theworldpost/wp/2018/01/09/coral-reefs/?tid=ss_tw-bottom&utm_term=.80ce291c546b