[Coral-List] genetic connectivity of Symbiodinium individuals within a single colony

Thomas Krueger thomas.krueger at epfl.ch
Mon Jun 18 04:51:17 EDT 2018

Hi,

I am looking for literature on the degree of genetic connectivity of the
Symbiodinium population within single coral colonies. The awesome Kemp
et al. 2015 (Coral Reefs 34:535-547) publication has provided nice ITS2
landscape maps of mixed holobionts, but I am more interested whether
anyone has tried to create a basal ancestry map of the Symbiodinium
population within a colony that hosts more or less a single Symbiodinium
species/ITS2 type. There is a high degree of physiological variability
within the population down to small-scale variations in nutrient
assimilation efficiency due to e.g. light gradients (Wangpraseurt et al.
2016 ISME 10, 788-792) and I started to wonder how far do islands of
clonal Symbiodinium descendants within a colony reach. Are they really
limited by the vacuole boundary of the host cell (now one leaves their
home cell)? On the other side, I am fairly we sure we do not assume that
a single coral hosts a single clonal population of an individual of
Symbiodinium. Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Thomas

--

*--*

*Thomas Krueger */Postdoctoral Researcher/

Laboratory for Biological Geochemistry | École polytechnique fédérale de
Lausanne (EPFL)

*P*: (+41) 21 69 38039