[Coral-List] Reef Futures 2018 Symposium (Key Largo, Florida) Registration Now Open!

Coral Restoration - NOAA Service Account coral.restoration at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 25 08:24:26 EDT 2018

*Greetings Coral Restoration Community, We are excited to announce that
registration is now open for Reef Futures 2018: A Coral Restoration and
Intervention-Science Symposium <https://reeffutures2018.com>, to be held
December 10-14, 2018 in Key Largo, Florida.Saving the world’s coral reefs
requires a multi-pronged approach. Immediate and aggressive action on
climate change is paramount for the long-term survival of reefs; however,
carbon already released  into the atmosphere will continue to warm ocean
waters to a level inhospitable to corals for decades to come. This
symposium will bring together experts from around the world to share the
latest science and techniques for coral reef restoration while kicking-off
a global effort to dramatically scale-up the impact and reach of
restoration as a major tool for coral reef conservation and management.
Reef Futures 2018 is being planned in conjunction with the upcoming Great
Barrier Reef Restoration Symposium
<https://www.jcu.edu.au/events/2018/july/great-barrier-reef-restoration-symposium>
and will build on information exchanged there. We are striving for robust
international participation and cross-fertilization of disciplines to
develop new ideas. Scholarships and reduced registration rates are
available to encourage participation from developing nations. We will be
hosting a week of activities with the primary content occurring Dec 11-13.
The symposium will include oral presentations, posters, panel discussions,
workshops, exhibits, site visits, and fun times! We invite participation
from solution-minded individuals from a wide variety of fields - materials
science, environmental engineering, wildlife conservation and natural
resource management, environmental policy, communications, and of course
coral biology and restoration. Please distribute this announcement far and
wide via your networks!The themes of Reef Futures 2018 are: - The Role of
Restoration in Reef Management and Conservation- Restoration Operations and
Mechanics: best practices for scaling-up restoration - Restoration and
Interventions in the Context of a Changing Planet- Demonstrating the Value
and Efficacy of Restoration and Interventions- Restoration Vignettes:
restoration efforts from around the worldVisit the Reef Futures 2018
website <https://reeffutures2018.com> for more information and register to
submit an abstract or attend the event. Abstracts are due July 31.
Applicants will be notified in September, when a draft program will be
available. If you can't join us in Key Largo, check out our Coral
Restoration Consortium Facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/CoralRestorationConsoritum/> or subscribe to the
CRC Newsletter
<https://reefresilience.us17.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=efcc8bbe0d970d0af718bb6fe&id=c6bbf8ea0b>
to stay up to date on event details, scholarly information on restoration,
quarterly webinars, and information on joining the CRC Working Groups
<https://reefresilience.us17.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=efcc8bbe0d970d0af718bb6fe&id=40eb1e7549>.For
questions, please contact coral.restoration at noaa.gov
<coral.restoration at noaa.gov>. Cheers and Best Regards,The Coral Restoration
Consortium*