[Coral-List] 3/9 Deeply Seminar: ​Hedging Climate Change By Insuring Coral Reefs, and Seafood on the Blockchain; Fishing Threats to Ocean's Twilight Zone; Hawaii Foam Ban

Tracy Gill - NOAA Federal tracy.gill at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 2 10:04:26 EST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Oceans Deeply <oceans at newsdeeply.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 10:01 AM
Subject: Seafood on the Blockchain; Fishing Threats to Ocean's Twilight
Zone; Hawaii Foam Ban

[image: Oceans Deeply]
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=e606f2b055&e=0ec6c6898e>
Mar. 2nd, 2018
[image: This week in ocean news.]

Dear readers,

Welcome to our weekly summary of Oceans Deeply’s top coverage.

Next week, we invite you to call into our live Deeply Talk: “
​​
Hedging Climate Change By Insuring Coral Reefs.” It will take place on
Friday, March 9 at The Economist World Ocean Summit
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=0062b6f5f2&e=0ec6c6898e>
in
Mexico. See more details and register here
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=9fe089c7a7&e=0ec6c6898e>
..

*Innovative marine protections for ocean islands. *February was a big month
for island marine conservation, with large reserves established off Easter
Island
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=0634c3f931&e=0ec6c6898e>
in
the Pacific and Seychelles
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=ccc977f5f9&e=0ec6c6898e>
in
the Indian Ocean.

*No babies for endangered right whales this year. *As the breeding season
for North Atlantic right whales winds downs, biologists who track the
highly endangered species are disturbed
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=a62889fddf&e=0ec6c6898e>
that
they’ve yet to discover any calves this year.

*Study: beach cleanups boost local economies. *It’s intuitive that clean
beaches attract beachgoers, but Ohio State University researcher Tim Haab
says
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=edf6e993a0&e=0ec6c6898e>
he’s
conducted the first study to examine their behavior and put a dollar figure
on the return from picking up oceanside trash.
Read Our Weekly Executive Summary
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=668b82c193&e=0ec6c6898e>

[image: f020b569-7455-410e-8ef8-f41b0077a844.png] MOST POPULAR
This Week's Top Articles
[image: cryo2.jpeg?w=185&h=130&fit=crop&q=60&dpr=2]
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=1d4d63be47&e=0ec6c6898e>

FISHERIES
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=a9ba018fdb&e=0ec6c6898e>
Betting on Blockchain to Put Truly Sustainable Seafood on Dinner Plates
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=a5074eb0d1&e=0ec6c6898e>

We cut through the hype about the technology behind Bitcoin that is
emerging as a powerful new tool to build tamper-proof transparency and
trust into seafood supply chains. If it works, blockchain could help combat
illegal fishing, worker abuse and seafood fraud.
[image: cryo2.jpeg?w=185&h=130&fit=crop&q=60&dpr=2]
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=8ca9a9c616&e=0ec6c6898e>

BIODIVERSITY
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=f932b24b69&e=0ec6c6898e>
The Ocean’s ‘Twilight Zone’ Faces Fishing Threat
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=800bc64755&e=0ec6c6898e>

The mesopelagic area of the ocean plays a crucial role in marine
ecosystems, but it has remained largely untouched and unexplored But now
some nations are eyeing the deep sea as potentially rich new
fishing grounds.
[image: cryo2.jpeg?w=185&h=130&fit=crop&q=60&dpr=2]
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=54c663ca72&e=0ec6c6898e>

PLASTIC POLLUTION
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=9a9ac9a31a&e=0ec6c6898e>
Hawaii Moves Toward Ban on Ocean-Polluting Takeout Food Containers
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=bcbedb3c82&e=0ec6c6898e>

Last year, Maui and the Big Island banned polystyrene food containers that
contribute to the islands’ coastal pollution problem. Now, Hawaii’s
legislature is taking action toward the U.S.’ first statewide prohibition
on foam packaging, which is toxic to marine life.
[image: cryo2.jpeg?w=185&h=130&fit=crop&q=60&dpr=2]
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=f015d246b6&e=0ec6c6898e>

PLASTIC POLLUTION
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=85a8c1d498&e=0ec6c6898e>
Seals, Large Percentage of Deep-Sea Fish Contaminated by Microplastics
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=c87165ed80&e=0ec6c6898e>

Scientists testing North Atlantic mesopelagic fish eaten by the ocean’s top
predators found that nearly 75 percent were contaminated with microplastic
fibers. Researchers have also discovered microplastics in the scat of gray
seals and in the Atlantic mackerel they eat.

[image: 973ab3c3-9b8d-4a6d-9ac8-50621f4257fe.png] EDITOR'S PICKS
Community Insight
[image:
putin-tillerson-meeting-exxonmobil.jpeg?w=90&h=90&fit=crop&q=60&dpr=2]
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=902d52c56c&e=0ec6c6898e>

CLIMATE CHANGE
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=d1d9296fb9&e=0ec6c6898e>
Ocean Acidification: A Chance for Bipartisan Cooperation in Congress?
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=8fe9d6ca27&e=0ec6c6898e>
[image:
6827aefd-79dd-482b-9584-82c275-565c92dc808b2.jpg?w=68&h=68&fit=facearea&facepad=2&corner-radius=100&mask=corners&maskbg=transparent&fm=png32]
Ian Evans, <#m_-5451948719070235650_>  Community Editor for Environment at
News Deeply

Sarah Cooley, a marine scientist at the Ocean Conservancy, explains the
environmental group’s strategy for reaching out to both sides of the aisle
on legislation to address ocean challenges in a divisive
political environment.

FIRST LOOK
Upcoming coverage

Next week, we’ll be reporting from The Economist World Ocean Summit in
Mexico. Also look for stories on Antarctica’s Adelie penguins, the graying
of Alaska’s fishing communities and how protecting coral reefs is good for
sharks.

Want to see our stories every day? Follow us on Twitter
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=3ffdf974ab&e=0ec6c6898e>
 or Facebook
<https://newsdeeply.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b78e9a34ff7443ec1e8c62c6&id=fede6b75d2&e=0ec6c6898e>
keep up with our coverage. We welcome feedback and ideas at
oceans at newsdeeply.com.