[Coral-List] Struggling with ocean optimism

Burgass, Michael m.burgass14 at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Mar 6 12:14:10 EST 2018

Dear Steve,

To throw in my 2cents as one of the co-founders of Conservation Optimism (www.conservationoptimism.org); the optimism movement is in no way blind, in no way about ignoring the problems but rather embracing them, embracing potential solutions and sharing and amplifying them. I personally don't think we are short on directness or negativity - and there is research to show this does not motivate people. I appreciate that you are talking about coral reefs, whereas our scope is somewhat larger. But I am sure there are many positive success stories which are hugely inspiring to people to do more, do better and stay engaged and in love with the natural world. Our mission statement:

Conservation optimism: A global movement for nature and people.

Wild nature is declining rapidly, and the earth’s life support systems are under increasing stress. As nature erodes and the response of human systems is inadequate or destructive, it can seem like the only rational response is despair. Yet if you zoom in from the big picture, a mosaic appears; in amongst the stories of loss there are inspiring stories of regeneration and positive change, with nature making a difference in people’s lives, and people valuing and nurturing their natural environment. These stories are the key to securing our planet’s future; we need to learn from them, replicate them and thereby build a world in which nature and people can coexist. Telling these stories of conservation optimism, large and small, so as to inspire change, is our mission.

Who are we?

Conservation Optimism is a global community dedicated to inspiring and empowering people around the world to make a positive difference for nature.

We are committed to fostering effective action, interest and wonder in the natural world, across generations, borders, languages and cultures.

We are dedicated to equipping, enabling and empowering conservationists at all career stages and from all backgrounds.

We are building a community whose members can draw strength, resilience and energy from togetherness and shared purpose.

We will amplify the reach of conservation by transforming the discourse from “doom and gloom,” into a refreshing vision of the future of nature and how to get there.

We will bring society together in realising this vision, including voices from the arts, business and civil society as well as from conservation science and practice.

We believe being optimistic shouldn’t underestimate the challenges faced in conservation. Rather, optimism uses the power of hope to provide motivation for meaningful action. This helps us learn from our setbacks and successes to move forward and find new solutions.

We are an inclusive movement of scientists, artists, professionals, businesses, NGOs and generally motivated humans of all ages and backgrounds, open to everyone.

Mike