[Coral-List] Article about Sargassum affecting the Caribbean

Pawlik, Joseph pawlikj at uncw.edu
Wed Mar 28 13:38:29 EDT 2018

A shameless plug --

As a follow-up on Gene Shinn's comments about the dust hypothesis and its bearing on the blooms of floating seaweeds in the Caribbean, some of you may be interested in the vicious circle hypothesis for the lack of Caribbean reef resilience, which includes the dust hypothesis and is congruent with increasing floating seaweed abundance because of a combination of dissolved organic carbon inputs from major river systems and the cycling of dissolved organic carbon and nutrients between sponges and seaweeds.  For more, see:

Pawlik, J.R., Burkepile, D.E., Vega Thurber, R. 2016.<http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/2016BioSciencePawlik.pdf> A vicious circle? Altered carbon and nutrient cycling may explain the low resilience of Caribbean coral reefs. BioScience, 66: 470-476 doi:10.1093/biosci/biw047.

Cheers,

Joe

Joseph R. Pawlik

Frank Hawkins Kenan Distinguished Professor of Marine Biology

Dept. of Biology and Marine Biology

UNCW Center for Marine Science

5600 Marvin K Moss Lane

Wilmington, NC  28409

Office:(910)962-2377; Cell:(910)232-3579

Website: http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/index.html

PDFs: http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/pubs2.html

Video Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/skndiver011