[Coral-List] On Super Corals and Where to Find Them (or a cautionary tale of using memes in science)

Coral Morphologic coralmorphologic at gmail.com
Wed May 2 10:34:49 EDT 2018

*In recent years, a sensational term with an unclear definition has been
capitalized on by researchers seeking to attract media interest and funding
towards their work: the super coral. But what exactly makes a coral super,
and from who and where did this idea first propagate? *

*Read Part 1 of my 'Super Coral' essay focused on the history of this term,
and how its over-use has managed to sow confusion amongst the public, as
well as discord within the scientific community over its meaning. *

https://medium.com/@coralmorphologic/on-super-corals-and-where-to-find-them-or-a-cautionary-tale-of-using-memes-in-science-1b4f6a9ace3c
or
http://coralmorphologic.com/b/2018/04/30/on-super-corals-and-where-to-find-them-or-a-cautionary-tale-of-using-memes-in-science-pt-1

*If anyone knows of any published examples of the term 'super coral' being
used before Ove Hoegh-Guldberg did in 2006, please let me know so I can
properly attribute the source. *

*Part 2 will dive deeper into the logic-defying 'urban corals' we are
studying that have self-recruited along the highway connecting Miami to
Miami Beach... and why they just might be some of the most
scientifically-valuable coral genotypes on the planet. *

*Cheers,*
*Colin Foord*
*Coral Morphologic <http://www.coralmorphologic.com>*