[Coral-List] New Paper on the importance of corals associating with thermotolerant Symbiodinium

Maha J. Cziesielski maha.olschowsky at kaust.edu.sa
Sun May 6 04:31:10 EDT 2018

Dear Coral Listers,

We would like to draw your attention to our new study published in The
Proceedings of the Royal Society B, focusing on transcriptomic and
proteomic heat stress response of Aiptasias from geographical regions with
different temperature profiles: North Carolina, Hawaii and the Red Sea.
Anemones from the Red Sea - known for its warmer waters - are included for
the first time in such a study.

While molecular data indicates that the Red Sea anemones have a distinctly
different response to the other two genotypes, particularly in reference to
oxidative stress response, the response was mainly driven by a lower ROS
production of the associated Symbiodinium. Thus, among other findings, this
indicates that Red Sea anemones may have adapted to increasing temperatures
through association with more thermotolerant symbionts.

We invite you to read more about transcript-protein correlations, core
cnidarian heat stress responses, different ways of analyzing transcriptomic
data and the role of the host and symbiont in determining thermotolerance
in our publication. You can find it here:

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/285/1877/20172654

The study was also briefly mentioned in a recent BBC article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43801895

Kind Regards,

Maha J. Cziesielski

--
Maha J. Cziesielski
PhD Candidate Marine Science and Engineering

this email.