[Coral-List] [EXTERNAL] Re: Hawaii bans sunscreens deemed harmful to coral reefs

Bargar, Timothy tbargar at usgs.gov
Tue May 15 07:56:18 EDT 2018

Doug, Liz, Emilie and all,

I have been lurking on this list for a few years since I was told I should
read some of the discussions about sunscreen chemicals.  I've never
participated in any of the discussions on other subjects, but have enjoyed
reading the debates.  I decided to provide some input in this thread
because I do have some experience in the subject of environmental
toxicology.

There was a question about effects on the reef that can be linked to
sunscreen chemicals.  I have not yet seen any papers specifically citing
sunscreen chemicals being responsible for effects in the open reef
environment.  However, the lack of such reports does not mean organisms in
the reefs are not stressed by those chemicals when adequately exposed.
Laboratory studies with aquatic organisms exposed to the chemicals have
demonstrated that aquatic organisms can be adversely affected given
sufficient exposure.  Emilie has done well citing some of those effects.
But in the field where there are many other stressors, assigning causality
to individual stressors (not just contaminants) is problematic.  Laboratory
studies are the starting point that can help us begin to interpret what we
see in the environment.

Many of the reported effect levels for sunscreen chemicals, that is
concentrations in water that result in the effects, are well above what
I've seen reported for concentrations in marine environments.  Effect
levels for coral larvae exposed to benzophenone-3, as reported by Craig
Downs and his collaborators, are among the few less than concentrations I
have found and other have reported for the marine environment.  Hence, the
concern for that particular chemical.  In my humble opinion, more work is
needed to understand and detect the potential for effects of this chemical
in the marine environment.

The scale of effects for sunscreen chemical contamination is not the same
as that for climate change.  I don't believe the intent for anybody that
has pointed to the issue with sunscreen chemicals has felt it was of
greater global significance than climate change.  Rather, it is one of many
issues that resource managers I've worked with at the local scale can and
wish to manage and does need attention.

Regards

Tim

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 5:58 PM, Liz Wood <ewood at f2s.com> wrote:

> Hello Doug and all,
>
> I agree 100% that we must concentrate our efforts on the most serious
> threats to coral reefs – namely global climate change and a range of local
> issues from over-fishing, destructive fishing, coastal development and
> run-off etc etc.
>
> Currently – as outlined in the review - there is an on-going debate about
> the extent of damage/stress caused by sunscreen pollution, with different
> studies indicating levels of risk from minimal to significant. Despite the
> uncertainty and the fact that other threats are of greater magnitude, a
> precautionary approach for sunscreens is still justified. This need
> not/should not detract from action on climate change and the myriad other
> threats.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Liz

Tim Bargar, Ph.D.
Research Ecotoxicologist
The USGS Wetland and Aquatic Research Center
7920 NW 71st Street
Gainesville, Florida 32653