[Coral-List] plagiarism in coral reef science in India

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Mon May 21 02:05:25 EDT 2018

Michael,
    Thank you for this.  I knew it was a problem in academia.  While
copy/paste and the internet have made plagiarism easier than ever, the
ability to search for matches may also help detect plagiarism.  I note that
the Journal of Threatened Taxa, an online publication produced in India,
states on its website very clearly that it has procedures to detect
plagiarism.  It is clear that many scientists in India are honest and do
not engage in these practices, and the problem is by no means restricted to
India.  It is just shocking to see such a blatant example of it in
documents published by professionals (instead of just students) and the
authors getting away with it and benefiting from it.  Who says crime
doesn't pay?
     There is one tool for dealing with it that may be quite powerful, a
tool anyone can use, and that is publicizing these cases.  For the
scientific and management communities, it is necessary that people be able
to trust peer-reviewed publications.  It is not always easy for a user to
distinguish legitimate from illegitimate publications, and this was the
reason I posted this information.  But public scrutiny and awareness is
likely to be a powerful tool, the consequences of getting caught publicly
could be such that it would act as a deterrent.  But only if violations are
made public, and the scientific community cares and pressure builds for
supervisors to act.  So in the long run, publicizing these violations will
hopefully improve this situation greatly.  I hope people who have
information of misconduct will speak out or pass the information to those
who can speak out, and we can make our scientific community better than
ever.
       Cheers, Doug

http://threatenedtaxa.org/index.php/JoTT/index

http://threatenedtaxa.org/index.php/JoTT/about/editorialPolicies  (see
"Policy against scientific misconduct")

--
Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS Protected Species, and consultant

New online open-access field guide to 300 coral species in Chagos, Indian
Ocean
http://chagosinformationportal.org/corals

Even without El Nino, 2017 temperatures soared.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/01/even-without-el-ni-o-2017-temperatures-still-soared?utm_campaign=news_weekly_2018-01-19&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=1800664

Coral reefs are bleaching too frequently to recover
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/01/the-global-scourge-on-coral-reefs/549713/?utm_source=atlfb

How to save the "tropical rainforests" of the ocean
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/theworldpost/wp/2018/01/09/coral-reefs/?tid=ss_tw-bottom&utm_term=.80ce291c546b