[Coral-List] Understanding coral calcification with Raman spectroscopy

Thomas DeCarlo thomas.decarlo at uwa.edu.au
Thu May 24 21:28:22 EDT 2018

Dear Coral-List,

I would like to draw your attention to our recent publications investigating coral calcification mechanisms using Raman spectroscopy. This technique can be used as a proxy measure of calcifying fluid aragonite saturation state. When Raman measurements are combined with boron systematics, it is now possible to derive the full calcifying fluid carbonate system, including calcium concentrations. With this new approach, we have found that increasing calcium in the calcifying fluid is a key mechanism for at least some corals to cope with ocean acidification. Furthermore, Raman measurements can be conducted at micron-resolution, allowing us to map the variability of aragonite saturation state around the skeleton, such as between centers of calcification and fibers.

Coral calcifying fluid aragonite saturation states derived from Raman spectroscopy:
https://www.biogeosciences.net/14/5253/2017/

Coral resistance to ocean acidification linked to increased calcium at the site of calcification:
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/285/1878/20180564

The origin and role of organic matrix in coral calcification: insights from comparing coral skeleton and abiogenic aragonite:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2018.00170/full

Mechanisms and seasonal drivers of calcification in the temperate coral Turbinaria reniformis at its latitudinal limits:
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/285/1879/20180215

Please feel free to contact me for PDFs.

- Tom DeCarlo (with thanks to the many authors of these papers)

Dr. Thomas DeCarlo
Postdoctoral research associate
School of Earth Sciences and Oceans Institute, University of Western Australia
ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
Office (08) 6488-4486
www.thomasmdecarlo.com<http://www.thomasmdecarlo.com>
https://www.oceanchange.com.au/