[Coral-List] plagiarism in coral reef science in India

Michael Newkirk michaeljnewkirk at gmail.com
Fri May 25 13:38:28 EDT 2018

Hi Doug,

I meant to respond the other day, but in between the time I wrote you and
you responded, I had to deal with another plagiarism case. :( The thing is,
our company does not use any plagiarism software, nor am I an academic
expert in the fields in which I catch potential clients plagiarizing the
work of others. I just simply review their file to set the fee, and when I
see something that looks suspicious or the individual submits work with no
citations or references, I just copy and paste a few sentences into Google
to check.

Although using plagiarism software is preferable, I think it's fine if a
university does not want to buy a license. I'm not sure how much it costs,
but perhaps the cost is not feasible in some areas of the world. The big
thing is the commitment to academic integrity and having a system, even as
simple as mine, to investigate written work intended for publication or as
part of a degree.

When the stakes are high, when one generally must publish in English for
the most impactful reach (it's own issue), and when one needs to get ideas
out quickly, people *anywhere* in the world can be tempted to cut corners.

At the student level, what I see is a lot of universities taking on a large
number of ESL students, but they do not have the support structures in
place to ensure their success. They're happy taking their tuition money,
though. And when the uni has an agreement with other institutions, those
institutional partners tend to have "expectations" about the percentage
that will graduate. It appears that if plagiarism and disciplining students
is antagonistic to part of an institution's financial model, why look? A
good example is a client I had about this time last year. The MA student's
supervisor (Canadian university) contacted me and said, "I just need him to
graduate by June. Can you help?" regarding his student. The professor
seemed taken aback by my stance on academic integrity---that I would not
rewrite everything as I saw fit. I told the prof that I would fix language
issues but would not engage in active rewriting. I found very clear,
copy-paste plagiarism in the middle/final third of the work, whole
sections, which I flagged and did not touch. The student, as far as I know,
graduated with a master's from a Canadian institution. I mention students
(who plagiarize) because when they become professionals, they might
continue the same behavior.

It's happening everywhere and at every level. The only thing I've learned
for sure is that I cannot assume who's standing guard. Improvements can be
made, but I think such initiatives have to start with student education and
adequate support as well as faculty accountability, in order to build a
stronger academic culture.

Best,

Michael.