[Coral-List] plagiarism in coral reef science in India

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri May 25 23:31:30 EDT 2018

   An interesting perspective relevant to the question of whether Caribbean
and Indo-Pacific reef building corals are completely separate, or there are
Caribbean corals in India:

Hutchings and Kupriyanova.  2018.  Cosmopolitan polychaetes - fact or
fiction?  Personal and historical perspectives.  Invertebrate Systematics
32: 1-9.

  https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Elena_Kupriyanova/
publication/322509582_Cosmopolitan_polychaetes_-_
Fact_or_fiction_Personal_and_historical_perspectives/links/
5a8a1016aca272017e621be0/Cosmopolitan-polychaetes-Fact-
or-fiction-Personal-and-historical-perspectives.pdf

Cheers, Doug

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 12:42 PM, Christine Schoenberg <
christine.schonberg at uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> Dear Doug,
>
> it¹s similar for sponges. Repetitive species lists of previously published
> sponges, including many names that are not known in the Indo-Pacific (also
> Zoological Survey, e.g. some of the same authors you listed).
> Aggravatingly, it seems to be impossible to get voucher loans from the
> Calcutta Museum to confirm/reject some of the identifications that have
> actually been done on existing specimens for publications in e.g. the 80s
> or historic publications. Very frustrating, because any of those listed
> species will turn up again and again in later publications in India, it
> simply copies through.
>
> Cheers, Christine
>

> Dr. Christine Schönberg
>
> School of Earth and Environment
> and Oceans Institute at the
> Indian Ocean Marine Research Centre, building 453
> The University of Western Australia
> Fairway Entrance 4
> Crawley, WA 6009
> Australia
>
> Ph +61-8-61107157
>
> 'Apart from values and
> ethics, which I have tried to live by, the legacy I would like to leave
> behind
> is a very simple one - that I have always stood up for what I consider to
> be
> the right thing, and I have tried to be as fair and equitable as I could
> be.' Ratan Tata
>

> On 18/05/2018 3:15 pm, "coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov on behalf
> of Douglas Fenner" <coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov on behalf of
> douglasfennertassi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Abstract:  A group in India has published several articles with long lists
> >of names of coral species in the Andaman Islands.  Those lists contain the
> >names of several Caribbean corals.  In 2010 the same group published a
> >book
> >on the corals of the Andaman Islands.  The text describing every species
> >was copied verbatum from Veron (2000) with no quote marks and no citation
> >of the source.  The introductory text was also copied verbatum from
> >sources
> >without quotes or attribution, so nearly the entire book was copied
> >verbatum.  I provide the references to these works, and detailed quotes
> >from the book and the sources below my signature.  (this post is long, so
> >provide an abstract)

Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS Protected Species, and consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

New online open-access field guide to 300 coral species in Chagos, Indian
Ocean
http://chagosinformationportal.org/corals

By getting serious about limiting global warming, the world could save
itself more than $20 trillion.  (action would cost only a half trillion
over 30 years, less than the cost of the Iraq war to the US, so benefits
would be 40 times costs)  http://www.latimes.com/
science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-global-warming-costs-20180523-story.html

The cost of a warming climate  http://www.readcube.com/
articles/10.1038/d41586-018-05198-7

Climate costs  http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1038/d41586-018-05219-5

Large potential reduction in economic damages under UN mitigation targets
(and 30% loss of world economy if the climate is allowed to warm by 4oC)
http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1038/s41586-018-0071-9