[Coral-List] Whale sharks

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 30 15:56:23 UTC 2020

I realize this is a bit off-topic for this list, but in case you hadn’t heard, a third whale shark has died at the Georgia Aquarium. Of the original four, only one remains swimming in tight and shallow quarters with two whale sharks that serve as replacements for two previous casualties. Leading experts on this species have expressed opposition to whale shark captivity, but still the show goes on. I don’t know exactly what role, if any, NOAA plays in sanctioning/licensing these exhibits, but isn’t it time for this to change?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/us/georgia-aquarium-whale-shark-death-scn-trnd/index.html

Regards,

Steve Mussman

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail