[Coral-List] Darwin was WRONG about reef formation

Rupert Ormond rupert.ormond.mci at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 12:33:52 UTC 2020

Thanks David,

This sounds like the interpretation I was trying to re-call after Doug
et al asked about when I mentioned that decades ago I was teaching
students that the Maldives atolls were not atolls - at least in the
Darwinian sense.

I still struggle to understand however how exactly the Maldives manages
to get mini-atolls within ring reefs within atolls. As a non-geologist I
could only guess that this was the result of eustatic fluctuations in
sea-level, with the largest scale atolls being formed when sea level was
lowest and conditions within unfavourable to coral growth, and smaller
ring-reefs being able to form inside them once sea level was higher
again, and so on.

It would be nice to know if the evidence supports this?

Thanks

Rupert

*Prof. Rupert Ormond
*Co-Director, Marine Conservation International
Hon. Professor, Centre for Marine Biodiversity & Biotechnology,
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh