[Coral-List] today, I'm not giving up hope

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 01:23:39 UTC 2021

OK, this is on climate change action.  There is wide agreement that the
biggest threat to coral reefs is climate change.  The biggest conference
yet on climate change is under way in Glasgow, Scotland.  After loads of
great speeches about how action was crucial (see particularly the
Attenborough one  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihhzCCsWJSw), now today
there are a flood of news stories on progress on agreements and actions
that WILL make a difference.
      Right now, I'm thinking in an optimistic way.
      It had looked like the conference might be all talk and no action.
Now it looks like the commitments needed are starting to happen.  There are
two new agreements signed by around 100 countries already, and talk of
TRILLIONS of dollars to get things done.
      This is getting massive publicity coverage, I hope it is going out
over the whole world, and those who didn't know what was going on are
finding out, a massive education event.
       Stories are coming out faster than I can read them or even copy
the links.  Here's a sampling:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kerry-teases-coming-announcements-to-finance-climate-change-policy-in-developing-nations-150902480.html

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/5151484d-e79f-3783-97d7-8fe6156d24be/china-created-a-firestorm.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/methane-reductions-not-carbon-cuts-093038829.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cop26-over-100-world-leaders-145823339.html

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/4f49ce0e-44c6-3911-93e3-c5451b7fd8f6/biden-will-attack-methane-by.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-eu-urge-30-methane-155521035.html

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/why-global-methane-pledge-big-120851379.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-exits-u-n-climate-193055368.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-chinas-xi-made-big-200002222.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/greening-deserts-india-powers-renewable-070301261.html

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/carbon-removal-industry-running-tide-ceo-223235858.html

Cheers,  Doug

--
Douglas Fenner
Lynker Technologies, LLC, Contractor

Humans are driving one million species to extinction
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01448-4

Slashing emissions by 2050 isn't enough.  We can bring down temperature now.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/climate-deadlines-super-pollutants-hfcs-methane/2021/04/15/acb8c612-9d7d-11eb-b7a8-014b14aeb9e4_story.html