[Coral-List] Questions Goliath Grouper Re: My name on the list

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 22:36:07 UTC 2021

Gene

Your question: Is there some ecological reason for proposing they [Goliath Grouper]can be taken?
Answer: No. There is no scientific support for opening a fishery for Goliath Grouper.

A more detailed answer is in several posts in my blog. They are still valid today
Science Blog: https://grouperluna.com/

For a more detailed overview, this is a useful paper
Koenig CC, Koenig, Coleman FC, Malinowski CR (2020) Atlantic Goliath Grouper of Florida: To Fish or Not to Fish. Fisheries Magazine 45 (1): 20-32
https://marinelab.fsu.edu/media/3878/2020_koenig_et-al_goliathgroupe-fisheries_distrib.pdf

Let me know if you have more questions

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
Twitter: @GrouperDoc