[Coral-List] seahorse males develop placentas for young

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 04:26:47 UTC 2021

Most seahorses live in seagrass beds, but at least one or more tiny species
live on sea fans on which they are super camouflaged and which surely are
on coral reefs.
     If I remember, much of the reproductive biology is shared with
pipefish, which show a series from eggs external and glued on to small
pouch walls to both sides of the eggs, to complete pouch walls that
surround them.
      I remind that some sharks have placentas as well.

Male seahorses grow placentas to incubate their young.

https://www.science.org/content/article/male-seahorses-grow-placentas-incubate-their-young

Cheers, Doug

--
Douglas Fenner
Lynker Technologies, LLC, Contractor

Humans are driving one million species to extinction
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01448-4

Slashing emissions by 2050 isn't enough.  We can bring down temperature now.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/climate-deadlines-super-pollutants-hfcs-methane/2021/04/15/acb8c612-9d7d-11eb-b7a8-014b14aeb9e4_story.html