[Coral-List] Bleaching

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Wed Apr 20 13:44:48 UTC 2022

Austin:

Thanks for the update. While I applaud these efforts to do "anything", I am
still disheartened by 6-year survivorship being portrayed as a "success"
when I think of the prior life-expectancy of natural colonies when I lived
on St. Croix. When I resided in the USVI, I saw *A. palmata* decline due to
both local (tourism, clearing of steep upland areas) and global sources
(climate change). Unfortunately, each time I return, I see more and more
dead colonies, dominated in significant part by clearly out-planted
colonies (I see an increasing density of the hardware associated with the
now-dead outplants. In these cases, nearly all efforts are deployed from
shore owing to the narrow shelf. So, while I recognize the importance of
these attempts, I do have to be concerned that too many folks will take the
positive slant of the reports (and, in some cases, characterizing these as
(artificial *"reefs*") to suggest that things are either "under control" or
"measurably improved".

Best,

Dennis

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 7:46 AM Austin Bowden-Kerby via Coral-List <