[Coral-List] bleaching on the Great Barrier Reef (Alina Szmant)

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 07:48:09 UTC 2022

If they got overgrown by algae, they are almost certainly dead.  Which fits
with what I said that it is quite hard to tell the difference between
bleached and newly dead, even if you are just inches from them (let alone
an airplane).  Live tissue on a bleached coral is clear, so it is
especially hard to see.  You see the white skeleton, just like when the
coral is just died.  Hard to see clear tissue.
Cheers, Doug

On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 3:31 AM Eugene Shinn via Coral-List <