[Coral-List] From Tinkering to Critical Identification of causes to stop the degradation trend

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 21:51:06 UTC 2023

Dear Colleagues,

It was interesting to read the latest posts on coral reef health over time
vs human population trends. One of the reflections is that we need to lead
by example and advise an effective coral reef conservation policy
considering integrated coastal management.

Regarding the human local impact on coral reefs, it all depends on the
frequency, intensity and duration of the man-made phenomena as presented in
the following paper
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233524416_Monitoring_ecological_and_socioeconomic_indicators_for_coral_reef_management_in_Colombia

Based on this paper, in Colombia was set the environmental accountability
program that I have the honor to implement.

In our transdisciplinary research, we explore the changes in coral reef
health within the context of human activities in temporal and spatial
scales that may cause coral reef degradation.

It is easy for developers to jump into conclusions that diseases have a cause
undetermined or to blame ONLY climate change while continuing dredging,
enlarging ports even in marine protected areas to scale up massive tourism
and increasing the inhabitants population everyday. A leaking wastewater
pipe, for example, can pollute a coral reef area but a dredging and
navigation operation can magnify the impact and become the pathway for a
longer than a decade of disease outbreak. Pollution levels include toxins
concentrations / silting sedimentation volume and the identification of
vectors that distribute the causes of coral morbidity and mortality. Aetiologic
agents of disease can be infectious (bacteria, viruses, protozoa, fungi,
and other animals; even human direct contact with sick coral colonies
can transmit
by touch and water circulation) or noninfectious (toxins, prions, trauma,
climatic events).

To know more about our long lasting research projects follow us on:
 Facebook.com/ICRObservatory/
 Twitter @ArrecifesCoral (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian)
 Twitter @ICR_Observatory (English, French and Spanish)

 Youtube @ICR_Observatory Instagram ICR_Observatory

The thematic strategy on the environment should be a brave and progressive i
nitiative, not just a lukewarm recommendation of wishful thinking.

Sincerely,
Nohora Galvis
International Coral Reef Observatory, ICRO