[Coral-List] Invite to an online lecture about how we plan to save coral reefs

Michael Sweet M.Sweet at derby.ac.uk
Fri Apr 7 06:06:51 UTC 2023

________________________________
From: Michael Sweet
Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2023 11:55:41 AM
To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
Subject: Invite to an online lecture about how we plan to save coral reefs

Dear Coral List

I would like to extend a welcome to join me on my inaugural lecture on the 26th April at 17:30 pm (UK time). The lecture is a ritual of sorts here in the UK when you become a full Professor. You can join in person or more likely via an online link A Stitch in Time Saves Nine: How We Plan to Save Coral Reefs - Latest events - University of Derby<https://www.derby.ac.uk/events/latest-events/how-we-plan-to-save-coral-reefs/>. I will talk about over a decade of work we have undertaken at the University and my journey to becoming a professor. We will focus primarily on two key aspects on what our extended international team are working towards to save coral reefs. First, we highlight the work undertaken around culturing bacteria and probiotics, then move onto our success with exsitu coral spawning and the creation of the coral spawning lab www.coralspawninglab.org<http://www.coralspawninglab.org>. Here we have now facilitated teams of researchers from around the world to spawn corals themselves. Over 30 separate organisations now have the capacity to spawn corals ex situ based on our designs and concepts and this has lead to over 38 species of stony coral being reared in house – some of which advances science via projects around CRISPR or more direct impact via conservation and restoration programs. Please also get in touch if you would like more info on what we do as part of this knowledge exchange program and how we plan to help save coral reefs on a global scale.

Regards

Professor Michael Sweet

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic.
If you believe this was sent to you in error, please reply to the sender and let them know.

Key University contacts: http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/