[Coral-List] Toward a New Era of Coral Reef Monitoring

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 19:29:47 UTC 2023

Dear Coral- Listers,

I always agree with the messages from Phil, because we also have monitored
coral reefs for decades watching the degradation due to local human
activities (business as usual and also includes producing emissions and
local pollution due to human lifestyle that threatens coral reefs). That is
why, we learned from a multidisciplinary background to advise
sustainable development with facts from ecology, social and economics
sciences. Thus the coral reef conservation can become effective.

Coral reefs even in marine protected areas have negative impacts from
megaprojects that increase the number of inhabitants and visitors. "They
need clean water, reduced pollution (including sedimentation), reduced
fishing pressure, less tourists, and a cooler, higher pH ocean". Therefore,
the time is right to include in our monitoring protocols raising awareness
with the facts that monitoring shows us. The awareness should be delivered
not just to the general public but to the same colleagues and the decision
makers.

The monitoring results should direct a link to decision makers to obligate
them to immediately stop the causes produced by megaprojects on / or close
to coral reefs. That is the reason I have written before about becoming a
stronger international coral reef scientific society. We can not continue
supporting unsustainable development with promises to save reefs by
fragmentation of coral colonies while with inaction or confidential
agreements supporting destruction of coral reefs and morbidity / mortality
of stone coral. We should learn from the case studies that have failed to
stop sewage pollution, and other causes.

The blue economy and business will continue to thrive without healthy coral
reefs. For instance, cruises are planned to continue visiting the Florida
Keys even if coral reefs get destroyed. Cruise Tourists do not dive.
However, tourists want to eat fresh coral reef fishes (e.g. snappers) but
they can be fed with salmon from other subtropical areas or overfishing
other coral reefs from the Caribbean Sea where they visit. In 2022, Port of
Miami had 4.022.544 passengers.

If sewage in the coral reef areas is one of the main problems why in 2023,
none scientists or institutions have figured out a way to solve it or at
least to include them in their statistics models. *Sewage can be
alternative energy for example.* That will certainly be a great
technological development for our human kind to stop degrading the ocean
and  rivers. What about finding alternatives to avoid sewage going to the
sea and rivers.

To know more about our long lasting research projects follow us on:
 Facebook.com/ICRObservatory/
 Twitter @ArrecifesCoral (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian)
 Twitter @ICR_Observatory (English, French and Spanish)

 Youtube @ICR_Observatory Instagram ICR_Observatory

"The thematic strategy on the environment should be a brave and progressive
 initiative, not just a lukewarm recommendation of wishful thinking."

Sincerely,
Nohora Galvis
International Coral Reef Observatory, ICRO