[Coral-List] Toward a New Era of Coral Reef Monitoring

Andrew Ross ross.andrew at mac.com
Fri Apr 21 15:07:06 UTC 2023

Good morning Jianna & all,
That quoted statement is broadly true & better water is certainly better, but there’s a lot of complexity, nuance & oddity to be considered as Phil has noted. The word “never” gives me hives…
I work mostly in & around Montego Bay, Jamaica. Some of our sites are quite yucky, chronic ear-infection yucky, yet the corals (including cultured corals) are doing fine but for the usual predatory/ecological imbalances (overfishing), which we can mitigate with hand-picking for the short to medium terms. These sites also appear to be partial SCTLD refuges, retaining species largely extirpated from this coastline including arguably/relatively clean-water sites. Next-to-no Diadema mortality last year, either. Others also report strong coral populations in chronically polluted bays - Hawaii comes to mind just now, but there are plenty of examples.
Hawaii might, but we don’t tend to get funded to formally test water-quality beyond temperature loggers. More & better data would certainly be better, and maybe not for the expected reasons.
Best regards,
Andrew