[Coral-List] Toward a New Era of Coral Reef Monitoring

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 01:45:00 UTC 2023

A Pacific perspective to the discussion:
I agree that monitoring is a vital aspect of coral reef management to
quantify change, however, it is not a solution in itself for coral reef
decline.  Like a patient in the ICU, no matter how well hooked up to
monitors the sick patient is, if no remedies are applied, if no IV support
is given, and no medications delivered, then the monitoring might only
record in great detail the death of the individual.  The entire premise
with monitoring is that we intervene to save the patient!

The Florida reef tract has over 3.5 million visitors per year to a very
limited area.  That, plus proximity to a large urban area, must have
horrific consequences.  I would venture to guess that the extent of
monitoring on the Florida reef tract is at least a thousand times what we
have here in the entire South Pacific region.  The reefs of the tropical
Pacific cover something like a third of the planet, and the region contains
vast areas of coral reefs, however our entire population is under 3 million
people.  And while there are indeed polluted harbor areas, and yes there is
overfishing around population centers, in recent years much progress has
been made to address especially overfishing.   Our major threat is climate
change and warming seas.  This is a very real problem, impacting most
reefs.  The coral reefs of the most pristine uninhabited reefs of the
Phoenix and Line Islands, un-fished and with amazingly clean waters, have
now mostly died due to bleaching, or at best have lost most of their coral
diversity, being stuck in a low diversity phase shift dominated by one or
two species.

For areas like Florida, of course we need to monitor interventions, to see
what might be working.  We need vastly more monitoring in the independent
Pacific - the non US and French territories, where resources are much more
abundant.  If all the interventions are pollution control and MPA focused,
and if we do not address bleaching, we have missed the primary threat,
which will wipe away all progress within a decade or two.

As per Andrew''s contribution, we too find the greatest resilience to both
disease and heat in the more polluted and silty nearshore waters.
 Evolutionary pressures appear to be resulting in adaptation and thus
resilience.  But like Andrew, by no means are we encouraging a "'don't
worry be happy" attitude, we just take a bad situation and look for any
silver lining we might find.  These stressed corals, whatever has survived
over time, make good candidates for bleaching and disease resistance.  So
we have focused our coral reef adaptation work on collecting samples from
highly stressed waters, putting them into moderately stressed
quarantine nurseries for a full year, removing any that develop disease or
grow suspiciously slowly during the year.  After that, we graduate the
corals to our gene bank nurseries located on cooler, cleaner water reefs.

With a present mass bleaching ongoing in Fiji, Acropora corals are now 99%
bleached, with 30% mortality in our Eastern Fiji sites.  We are busy
collecting the very few corals which are bleaching resistant, and bringing
those into the gene bank as proven bleaching resilient corals to >33C.
Anyone on the list who is working on coral-focused climate change
adaptation should read my paper, or view the presentation- links below.

Regards to all,

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
22 minute summary of climate change adaptation strategies
https://youtu.be/arkeSGXfKMk
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

On Sat, Apr 22, 2023 at 9:11 AM Andrew Ross via Coral-List <