[Coral-List] Why people care so little

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Sat Apr 22 18:30:43 UTC 2023

Dear Ehsan KAYAL, I have been asking myself the same question for many
many years. I keep coming back to the conclusion that the problem is
because no one has figured out how to make money fixing the problem. If
someone could come up with a gizmo that fixes the problem, get it
patented, and then get state governments and congress to make the gizmo
mandatory then someone could get rich and make good things happen. That
does not seem likely. I first learned tofollow the money way back when
automobile seat belts became mandatory. Before then many people did not
want them and the auto industry was reluctant to add them. That was all
before most coral-list readers were born. Yes they save lives and I
assume someone made a lot of money making them. Consider the history of
the multitude of gizmos we use everyday and how they benefited the
inventor as well as the users. Development of mooring buoys was a good
start but they did not stop the spread of diseases. My team faced a
similar issue with African dust and its affects on coral as well as
human health. No gizmo will stop that short of preventing climate change
but that is not likely during our generation. Unfortunately, a scary
solution is one that might wipe out the entire human race including the
reefs. It is also difficult for the average non-diver living in the
middle of the US to really worry about reefs when there are larger
world-wide issues to worry about. Meanwhile, us coral reef people will
continue to remain concerned about reef health. I hate to be so
pessimistic but one has to be realistic. What is left is for each one of
us to do our best and hope it all adds up. Don't hold your breath. Gene