[Coral-List] Bubbles from Millepora skeleton

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Fri Apr 28 15:09:34 UTC 2023

   Oxygen. From boring algae.

   This was a very cool discovery-not by me, but by Nigel Bellamy. He was
   in Tech Services, back when AIMS had such a thing, and assigned to me
   as a diver whilst I collected stuff. I said I'm cool, go off and look
   around.

   He came back with a broken branch just pouring out gas, said "Surely we
   know about this? What's this?" To which I replied "Duh...WTF??"

   Bellamy and Risk, 1982, Science V 215. "Coral gas: oxygen production
   from Millepora on the GBR."