[Coral-List] Conservation challenge: Podcast on Atlantic Goliath Grouper

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 00:21:10 UTC 2023

Feast your ears with my interview in Craig Pittman's "Welcome to Florida" podcast.

In this episode, I talk about the magnificent and endangered Goliath Grouper in Florida, the Lord of the Rocks, the gentle giant with a Golden Retriever puppy attitude. What is their role in the ecosystem? Why should we continue protecting them? and what are the new shenanigans in the deadly mismanagement of this species?
There are heroes, and villains, Game of Thrones vibes, and even a Star Trek-inspired quote.

Craig is the author of powerful nature books such as:
"Manatee Insanity: Inside the War Over Florida's Most Famous Endangered Species"
And
"Cat Tale: The Wild, Weird Battle To Save the Florida Panther"

Link to Podcast Episode:
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1169570/14034699-episode-180-atlantic-goliath-grouper-lord-of-the-rocks

Episode Description:
We're getting wet on this episode and learning about the Atlantic Goliath Grouper. Our guest is marine scientist, researcher, and conservationist Sarah Frias-Torres who spent 20 years in Florida studying this magnificent fish. Find her on Twitter and Instagram @GrouperDoc.

In the episode, she mentioned a scientific paper:
Coleman et al (2023) Controversial opening of a limited fishery for Atlantic Goliath Grouper in the United States: Implications for Population Recovery. Marine Policy 155: 105752
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0308597X23002853

Controversial opening of a limited fishery for Atlantic Goliath Grouper in the United States: Implications for population recovery

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
Twitter: @GrouperDoc
Science Blog: https://grouperluna.com/
Art Blog: https://oceanbestiary.com/