[Coral-List] 2024 Ruth D. Gates Restoration Innovation Grant Competition

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 20:30:48 UTC 2023

Hi Liz,

I feel that this being confined to the USA is rather an insult to the name
of Ruth Gates.
On the positive side, it does not completely ignore the twin elephants in
the room: SCTLD and the recent horrific mass bleaching event,.and their
implications for the future.

What is needed most right now is to focus on lessons learned from the
recent extinction-level disease and bleaching events that happened in
Florida and the Caribbean, and implications for restoration.  We must have
more information and then a pause to reflect and analyze the implications
of what is happening.  My question to the entire restoration and management
community is how can we move forward without knowing what remains of all
the restoration work, which methods worked best?

Regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
Film on our "Reefs of Hope" coral restoration for climate change adaptation
strategies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Thu, Dec 7, 2023 at 9:12 AM Liz Fairey - NOAA Federal via Coral-List <