[Coral-List] article on restoration

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 20:27:56 UTC 2023

Dear all,

Considering the last sentence of Austin´s message, certainly it is the time
for reflection
and for changing the paradigm leading by example with effective actions
against climate change and local induced impacts to coral reefs.

We need all coral reefs in effective MPAs that do not allow wastewater
discharges into the sea, dredging, mass tourism, pollution, habitat loss by
direct destruction or blue wash restoration.

In the Caribbean, we have current reports of more than 12 weeks with
temperatures above 30 Degrees Celsius and coral bleaching. In recent days,
temperatures are going down and corals retrieve microalgae in
resilient coral reefs that have not had strong local impacts. During the
heat stress, restoration based on breaking coral colonies was advised to be
stopped to avoid further cumulative stress. e.g. Recent video report from
Alex Cuervo, Diving Instructor volunteer observer at ICRO
https://youtu.be/Tis-dRzcVtA?si=9-bqZ-dwMjtKjd_o

The point is to act and invest at all levels to avoid further coral reef
degradation. Global issues and the local threats are synergetic for the
destruction of coral reefs. For instance, explosions on coral reefs for
enlarging navigation channels kill all coral faster, moreover when large
cruises pass everyday nearby the remaining corals. Even worse when
cruises wash their sewage on or near coral reefs and carry ballast water
across the region and may pass to other regions. Case study: Nat Geo Quest
crossing the Panama Channel to the Pacific region after visiting coral
reefs in the Caribbean Sea.

Happy holidays to all,

Nohora Galvis
Director
International Coral Reef Observatory, ICRO
ICRS World Reef Award
https://twitter.com/ICR_Observatory/
http://Facebook.com/ICRObservatory/
Instagram.com/ICR_Observatory/