[Coral-List] Scientists from Rio Grande do Sul/ RS, South Extreme of Brazil, create "test tube coral" (by cryogenics) to repopulate destroyed reef areas !

Ignacio Agudo ignacioagudo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 13:05:08 UTC 2023

Dear collegues & friends,

According to new recent informations, a group of brazilian scientists from
the "Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS)" created the first
test tube coral in the country. The objective is to multiply the species
and collaborate with the repopulation of reefs that have been destroyed
over the years, mainly due to the increase in ocean temperatures.
Researches reproduce corals using cryogenics, and experiments show that the
material generated can reconstitute reef corals on a large scale.

The coral colonies are collected from "Porto Seguro" (on the South Coast of
Bahia), Northeast region of Brazil, and taken to the laboratory. Withdrawal
occurs when reproduction of the hermaphrodite species, which produces both
eggs and sperm, takes place. Then reproduction takes place by "cryogenics"
(... the sperm are frozen in a liquid nitrogen tube, at a temperature of
almost 200ºC below zero!).

The ultimate objective is to multiply the species and collaborate with the
"repopulation of reefs" that have been destroyed over the years due to the
galloping increase in ocean temperatures:

"... Global projections show that in the next two, three decades we could
lose all the other reefs that still exist, so we really don't have time to
waste, to wait. We have one last chance to act in favor of coral reefs and
try to reverse this situation ..."

Before the experience in Brazil, test tube corals had already been
reproduced by scientists from Hawaii, Mexico and Taiwan.

Still, continuity of research depends on funding !

 _@/"

Original (Portuguese Brazil) journalistic report:

https://g1.globo.com/rs/rio-grande-do-sul/noticia/2023/12/27/cientistas-do-rs-criam-coral-de-proveta-para-repovoar-areas-de-recifes-destruidas.ghtml

Best regards ... and Happy New Year 2024 for all,

IGNACIO AGUDO

Latin American Cnidarian Network Member Brazil

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1391001107824116/posts/2772336899690523/

--
*A. Ignacio Agudo-Padrón*
Geographer, Environmental Researcher Malacologist
E-mail: ignacioagudo at gmail.com
Curriculum: http://lattes.cnpq.br/3951358740536805
Website: http://noticias-malacologicas-am.webnode.pt/
Facebook: