[Coral-List] Scientists from Rio Grande do Sul/ RS, South Extreme of Brazil, create "test tube coral" to repopulate destroyed reef areas. II. Additional informations !

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 00:51:53 UTC 2023

        It is commonly said that about half of the world's reefs are dead.
By that, I presume they mean that most of the corals on half the reefs are
dead.  But just because large numbers of corals have died, which is not
disputed, does not mean that only half of the number of corals that used to
be alive are now alive.  Yes, those that died will continue to be dead.
But those that are alive may still be able to reproduce.  I think coral
reefs have an amazing ability to recover, so long as humans stop abusing
them with sediment runoff, nutrient runoff, overfishing, mass coral
bleaching from high temperatures, and a long list of other things.
      I suggest that people take a look at the graphs of coral cover on the
Great Barrier Reef.  In the northern and southern sections, indeed huge
numbers of corals died.  BUT, then coral cover rebounded and it is now as
high as it has ever been since monitoring there began.  Not every reef
recovers, maybe half those in the Seychelles that were killed by bleaching
have not recovered.  Jamaica's corals that were killed about 43 years ago
have never recovered.  That remains a great threat to reefs worldwide, but
it hasn't happened on most reefs YET.
       Indeed, all the predictions I know of are for the devastation of
corals in the coming decades if we don't get emissions reduced and global
warming under control.  But that doesn't mean that we have lost half of the
world's corals already.
        Take a look at the graphs of world coral cover over time.  There
are currently 2 such graphs available, they aren't identical, both show
some decline, but not a 50% decline with any certainty.   The GCRMN graph
shows a decline from about 32% to 28%.  The Eddy et all paper shows a
decrease from about 60 or 70% to 26%, but you have to trust the very few
early points or the memories of older researchers to believe the earliest
data, both of which have significant weaknesses.  If you remove the early
points and the memories of the older researchers, you get a starting value
of only about 35%.  The earliest records of coral cover were very few and
far between, and monitoring programs usually don't pick sites randomly and
people have strong biases towards high coral cover sites.  There is a high
probability that the first monitoring sites were chosen for their high
coral cover.  There are now at least 3 or 4 ORDERS of Magnitude more sites
in present-day monitoring than when monitoring first started (take a look
at the graph of the number of sites by year in the GCRMN report, they go
from near zero at the beginning to very high at the end.  Every graph of
coral cover over time for large areas that shows the sample sizes over time
shows huge increases in the numbers of sample sites.).  Small samples are
much more subject to random effects and may be heavily subject to bias,
which we ALL have (i love live coral, how about you?).
        I'm reminded of the phrase attributed to Mark Twain after a
newspaper reported his death:  "My death has been greatly exaggerated."
Maybe the ongoing decline of coral reefs is being exaggerated a bit.  I
think we need to stick as closely as possible to the facts.  There can be
NO argument that humans are not damaging coral reefs, the evidence
supporting that assertion is overwhelming.  It is bad enough as it is
without us exaggerating it even more.  And with the next big disturbance
(like world wide mass bleaching) there is NO guarantee the reefs will
bounce back.  AND the disturbances, like heat waves, are coming more and
more often, and soon there will not be enough time for recovery, and each
new disturbance will cause coral deaths that add to the previous ones, in a
"ratchet" effect, as Chuck Birkeland has rightly pointed out.
       Corals are still in VERY deep trouble.
Cheers, Doug

https://www.aims.gov.au/reef-monitoring/gbr-condition-summary-2020-2021

https://gcrmn.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Executive-Summary-with-Forewords.pdf

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2590332221004747

On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 3:32 AM Ignacio Agudo via Coral-List <