[Coral-List] Digital Elevation Models/ point cloud scans of coral reefs

David Blakeway fathom5marineresearch at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 08:57:54 UTC 2023

Hi Akshay,

I’m not aware of any such repository. I would be a good asset. I suggest
contacting the Australian Institute of Marine Science. They have a
photogrammetry monitoring program that integrates fine-scale point clouds
with information on substrate and coral type. It is early days but this
will probably be the largest monitoring program of its type, and they visit
a lot of different reefs.

https://doi.org/10.25845/SE7T-PS86

A comprehensive lower resolution dataset for the Great Barrier Reef is at
https://www.deepreef.org/2010/07/06/gbr-bathy/

The nominal resolution is 30m but the dataset includes some lidar which
will be at much higher resolution.

There is also this site where you can apparently request free Heron Island
bathymetry at 2m resolution:

https://www.eomap.com/great-barrier-reef/

This article has an interesting multibeam image of 5 square kilometres of
reef on a 1m grid:

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2014.07.032

Also take a look at my & Mike Hamblin’s article which generates theoretical
patch reef 3D landscapes built by different coral types:

https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.935

Regards,

David Blakeway

On Sat, Dec 23, 2023 at 5:11 AM Akshay Patil via Coral-List <