[Coral-List] Getting creative about coral bleaching?

Cummings, Katy Katherine.Cummings at MyFWC.com
Thu Jul 20 00:56:07 UTC 2023

We do a great job of monitoring (dying) corals, but has anyone tried drastic measures to save bleaching corals? Sunshades over certain colonies? Supplemental feeding? Booms over reefs to trap sargassum and shade them? Giant ice cubes in the ocean à la Futurama (just kidding)? Surely there is something we can do, if we can feed manatees almost half a million pounds of romaine lettuce to keep them alive after mass seagrass mortality.

I see a few papers on shading, manganese enrichment, and antioxidants but don't know of anything that has been put to practice in the wild on wider scales. Does anybody know of any real-word examples?

Katy Cummings
Coral Program Outreach Coordinator
Coral Research Program
Fish & Wildlife Research Institute
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
2796 Overseas Hwy Suite 119 | Marathon, FL 33050
Katy.Cummings at MyFWC.com<mailto:Katy.Cummings at MyFWC.com> | https://myfwc.com/research/habitat/coral/
Phone:  262-352-7232