[Coral-List] SCTLD on Bonaire

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 24 14:22:27 UTC 2023

Hi Mel,

I don’t know how there could be any science-based evidence that disinfecting scuba equipment is slowing or preventing the spread of SCTLD especially considering the fact that the specific pathogen involved has yet to be identified. However, my critique of the protocols affecting divers is also not founded on science. Mine is just a visceral reaction based solely on how I see divers interacting with infected corals and observations involving how the disinfection protocols are carried out in situ. There are just too many variables involved for this process to inspire confidence. While there is little known about the potential for scuba divers to serve as vectors of coral disease, there are a number of studies like this one: “Considering Commercial Vessels as Potential Vectors of Stony Coral Tissue Disease” https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2021.709764/full.

Simply put, we don’t know how this disease is spreading, but I would assert that we do know that it is at least reasonable to assume that ships are potential vectors - therefore why all the focus on divers (an untested entity) while cruise ships arriving from other known-to-be-infected islands are continuing to be allowed to tie up close to shore virtually on top of some of Bonaire’s shallow reefs close to where the disease was first detected?

Regards,

Steve

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail