[Coral-List] SCTLD on Bonaire

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 00:53:54 UTC 2023

Bula Nicole and any who are following this thread,

I agree with your initial sentence, however, lumping me with those who
created ecological horrors in the past via well-meaning interventions
borders on character assasination - LOL!   No, I am not recommending
anything akin to the release of mongooses into the system to control
snakes, nor am I recommending the random and widespread culling of any
species.  And I will not retract what I have said about the potential
devastating impact of the 4-eyed butterflyfish, but I have toned it down
and suggested an experimental approach that should be urgently carried out,
where possible, as too much is at stake to continue doing nothing.

The scientific community has had nearly ten years to solve this problem and
we have failed!  That is a hard fact.  The 2020 NOAA plan throws funding
only at US waters, and offers no support for field-based research to gather
the missing information.  Land based facilities and coral rescue are
supported with a lot of funding, which is good.  But there are no
international cooperative agreements, or things like genetic testing of the
ballast water of ships arriving in areas without the disease, or leaving
the Panama Canal to keep the disease out of the Indopacific, rather they
are preparing Hawaii and the US territories for its arrival!   So yes, I
too am emotional at the position that this puts us in!   How on earth can
we solve all of these massive problems, when something this limited in
nature can not be stopped and solved?   I say lets' focus on finding the
vectors of local spread and doing our best to wipe this out!

I have a history of rocking the boat: I was among the pioneers of coral
restoration, being the very first to focus on restoration in the Caribbean
in 1993, and back to the Pacific in 1997.  I was heavily criticized in both
oceans for attempting the restoration of such a complex ecosystem, and I
was accused of being ''well meaning but misguided".  Our greatest
accomplishment was not restoration, rather it was threatened species
conservation: pulling Acropora back from local extinction's door in many
places.  But now I am questioning the direction that the field of
restoration is heading, with talk of fragments per square meter, large
areas planted, and planting a million corals- as if that will solve the
root causes of the problem!  Bleaching plus SCTLD now threatens to wipe
away much of our progress, as they are the new root causes of coral
decline.  I feel that the field has gotten far away from basic ecological
principles. Restoration must be focused on rebooting natural processes like
sexual reproduction and recruitment, not replacing these processes with our
own idea of what makes up a reef.  I detail my thoughts in my recent
paper.  https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf   And now, when we are
expecting massive species collapse and extinction in the coming decades due
to climate driven forces, the most important role of those involved with
active coral focused work needs to shift from restoration to securing the
genetic diversity of each of the declining coral species before they are
nearly gone, focusing on heat and disease resistance where possible. The
corals after propagation should be used to reboot natural recovery and
adaptation processes.  I am proposing some revolutionary new methods,
borrowed from recent breakthroughs in tropical forest restoration.  We use
small nucleation patches to create fish habitat and the fish facilitate a
much wider recovery.  The patches of corals also reproduce and send out
larvae, and they give out a strong settlement signal, which in theory will
attract larger numbers of coral recruits of diverse species, as well as
juvenile fish.  The patches should spread over time and restore the wider
ecosystem.   We are still conducting proof of concept experiments, and
preliminary work is going very well, and more results will come in after
the upcoming spawning and recruitment months. We welcome self-funded
collaborators and graduate students.  And if others want to borrow these
methods, please do- the clock is ticking!

Back to butterfly fish: I question calling 4-eyed butterfly fish keystone
species (meaning that the arch collapses when the keystone is removed).
Even if it were, removal from a few limited patches and at an experimental
level will not cause any harm to the wider system.  Even keystone species
can become a negative factor in coral survival and conditions change over
time.  COTS are keystone species capable of killing out staghorn and
tabulate species that otherwise dominate and crowd out the slow growing
species, yet we must now remove tens of thousands of them, because of their
huge numbers resulting from the prevalence of nutrient enriched waters as
well as overfishing of their predators.

I have added some references below that indicate that butterflyfish are
indeed spreaders of coral disease either via biting or pathogens spread via
their feces.  And on the other hand, they also may clean the wounds and
help the branches heal simultaneously to the spreading.  But the wound
cleaning via feeding would not be happening if the corals were not sick in
the first place.  Of course much more work is needed to sort this out, but
culling fish from experimental field plots will absolutely be required, if
we hope to do this.

Lastly, this topic may have extreme relevance to the ongoing mass bleaching
in the Atlantic and Caribbean.  Predation rates go out the roof when
predator to prey ratios become badly skewed post bleaching.  Butterfly fish
have recently been observed fighting over the few corals that remain after
mass bleaching and a coral population die-off.
https://phys.org/news/2023-01-coral-unnecessary-fish.html
With the present situation, if 95% of the Acropora corals for example were
to die off in a location, the potential that butterflyfish would represent
enough pressure to kill out what remains could become high.  The snail and
fireworm predators could also be horrific, but they would take longer to
arrive, while the fish have immediate access.  Parrotfish might also become
problematic, with respect to the few corals that remain, as this has
clearly happened in several sites here in the Pacific.  We have planted
hundreds of coral branches in restoration sites, only to find them eaten up
and mostly gone within a day or two.  So the restoration community needs to
be prepared to intervene post-bleaching, with predator removal efforts.
The predators will starve and go extinct locally if they do not have an
alternative food, and some species of butterflyfish are dependent on a
single species of corals, and so these fish will face global extinction if
the corals they depend on go.  But the irony is that their focused feeding
activities may help seal that fate!
https://phys.org/news/2008-02-butterfly-fish-extinction.html

Regards and good luck to all,

Over and out, as I have deadlines approaching!

Austin

Aeby GS, Santavy DL (2006) Factors affecting susceptibility of the coral
Montastraea faveolata to black-band disease
<https://dx.doi.org/10.3354/meps318103>. Marine Ecology Progress Series
318:103-110
ABSTRACT: Black-band disease affects many species of tropical reef-building
corals, but it is unclear what factors contribute to the
disease-susceptibility of individual corals or how the disease is
transmitted between colonies. Studies have suggested that the ability of
black-band disease to infect coral is enhanced by different stressors. We
examined the effect of both water temperature and mechanical injury on the
ability of this disease to infect the reef coral Montastraea faveolata, and
investigated the possibility of an interaction between the 2 stressors.
Under laboratory conditions, Phormidium corallyticum was able to
successfully invade all injured fragments but no uninjured fragments of M.
faveolata, irrespective of temperature regime. We also determined whether
the local coral-feeding butterflyfish Chaetodon capistratus was involved in
the inter-colony transfer of black-band disease. In aquaria, the presence
of C. capistratus increased the rate at which the disease spread from
infected to non-infected fragments of M. faveolata. Both corals that were
protected from and those that were exposed to fish predation contracted the
disease. Hence, either direct oral transmission of the pathogen from colony
to colony and/or indirect fecal transmission could be occurring. Variables
such as potential stressors and/or disease vectors on a reef could
contribute to the patterns of black-band disease observed in the field.

Raymundo LJ, Halford AR, Maypa AP, Kerr AM (2009) Functionally diverse
reef-fish communities ameliorate coral disease
<https://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0900365106>. Proceedings of the National
Academy of Sciences 106:17067-17070
''We subsequently investigated potential links between coral disease and
the trophic components of fish diversity, finding that only the density of
coral-feeding chaetodontid butterflyfishes, seldom targeted by fishers, was
positively associated with disease prevalence. These previously
uncharacterized results are supported by a second large-scale dataset from
the Great Barrier Reef. We hypothesize that members of the charismatic
reef-fish family Chaetodontidae are major vectors of coral disease by
virtue of their trophic specialization on hard corals and their ecological
release in overfished areas, particularly outside MPAs.''

Cole AJ, Pratchett MS, Jones GP (2008) Diversity and functional importance
of coral-feeding fishes on tropical coral reefs
<https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-2979.2008.00290.x>. Fish and Fisheries
9:286-307
"Corallivorous fish show distinct prey preferences and consume only a small
subset of available corals, usually the genera *Acropora*, *Pocillopora*
 and *Porites*. This selective predation by corallivores can limit
abundance and distribution of preferred corals. Chronic predation by
corallivores may also exacerbate effects of coral disturbance (e.g.
climate-induced coral bleaching), impeding reef recovery and causing
further coral loss. Conversely, the cover of preferred corals can be a
primary determinant of corallivore abundance and physiological condition.
Owing to this close association, obligate corallivores invariably decline
corallivores and their diets suggest that this feeding mode is more
important to coral reef food webs than traditionally thought."

Cole A, Chong Seng K, Pratchett M, Jones G (2009) Coral-feeding fishes slow
progression of black-band disease
<https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00338-009-0519-3>. Coral Reefs 28:965-965
Abstract: Outbreaks of coral disease are a major contributor to coral
mortality and subsequent reef degradation (Weil et al. 2006
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00338-009-0519-3#ref-CR2>). One
of the most common coral diseases on the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) is
black-band disease. This disease forms a distinctive band which marks the
interface between live, healthy tissue and dead coral skeleton (Fig. 1
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00338-009-0519-3#Fig1>). If, as
has been suggested, corallivorous fishes act as transmission vectors of
disease (e.g., Aeby and Santavy 2006
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00338-009-0519-3#ref-CR1>),
they must feed directly upon the infected area. This direct feeding may
actually be beneficial as it could lessen the extent and progression of the
disease. In fact, it is conceivable that under intense or preferential
predation on diseased tissue that the infecting agent could be removed and
coral health promoted.

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
Film on our "Reefs of Hope" coral restoration for climate change adaptation
strategies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA
TEDx talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRLJ8zDm0U
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

Teitei Livelihoods Centre
Km 20 Sigatoka Valley Road, Fiji Islands
(679) 938-6437
http:/www.
<http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji>
teiteifiji.org