[Coral-List] Keeping a sense of humor. OR A SENSE OF DIRE

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Mon Jul 31 16:00:37 UTC 2023

Hi John:

And as most long-time Coral-List members may recall, I have been persisting with my posts  about the human overpopulation issue for decades now without gaining much traction. I have basically given up on convincing more than a few people that the human overpopulation issue IS the major driver of climate change in its many manifestations (there are more signs than just global warming) going back many centuries even before excess use of fossil fuels became one of the consequences of human overpopulation, coupled with increasing sophistication in our technology and manufacturing capabilities and overconsumption. They are all intertwined with the human population size curve as the backbone onto which the other factors are attached. This morning a read a scary article (shared by none-other-than Dr. Paul Ehrlich) about the low-altitude satellite networks being deployed especially by SpaceX. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/07/28/business/starlink.html

. Our skies are now blanketed by tens of thousands of sofa-sized communication satellites with hundreds going up each week around the world and more companies entering the business (yes, it’s about the $$$$). Astronomers are concerned about the cloud of satellites interfering with their telescopes’ abilities to see the cosmos. Why is this relevant? Because the human species knows no bounds, and we will continue to overdevelop and overconsume until we end up with the kind of Earth portrayed in the 2008 animated ‘children’s’ movie Wall-E (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WALL-E).

So be not surprised that global temperatures continue to rise and corals continue to die, and that humans are trampling the life out of terrestrial ecosystems left and right by our mighty presence, whether we are rich and overconsume, or poor and cut down all the forests and kill the wildlife or overfish the oceans.

Once again, Pogo sagely ‘said’ back in 1971: “We have met the enemy and he is us” https://library.osu.edu/site/40stories/2020/01/05/we-have-met-the-enemy/

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO

CISME Instruments LLC

210 Braxlo Lane,

Wilmington NC 28409 USA

AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee

cell: 910-200-3913

EMAIL: alina at cisme-instruments.com

CISME IS NOW SOLD BY QUBIT SYSTEMS; https://qubitbiology.com/cisme/

Videos:  CISME Video 5:43 min   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYeR9qX71A&t=6s