[Coral-List] New Allen Coral Atlas Bleaching Alert!

Andrea Rivera-Sosa arivera-sosa at coral.org
Tue Jun 20 17:08:05 UTC 2023

Dear Coral-list,

The Allen Coral Atlas team is super excited to release an incredible new
feature. Atlas users can now sign up for bleaching alerts in their favorite
coral reef areas! This is timely as we're in the development of El Niño,
which calls for a high probability of coral bleaching worldwide.

Here's how it works: every two weeks, new bleaching data is uploaded to the
Atlas. This monitoring data is cued by the NOAA Coral Reef Watch (Bleaching
Alert Level 1). Log on to the Atlas and sign up for alerts for a country's
marine region, a marine protected area or draw a custom reef area of
interest and you'll receive an email notifying you whenever there's been
bleaching detected in that area. It's like having a direct line of
communication with the reefs themselves!

Our goal is to assist coral reef managers, decision-makers, scientists, and
anyone with a passion for these magnificent ecosystems. We want to provide
valuable information about coral bleaching at various scales, helping
everyone stay informed about the state of our reefs.  Check out more
information on our blog <www.allencoralatlas.org/blog/> or the Science and
Methods page <www.allencoralatlas.org/methods/#mon>

Help us spread the word to enable more people to discover and use this new
tool!

Thank you!
Andrea Rivera-Sosa, Ph.D
Project and Outreach Manager
Conservation Science,
Coral Reef Alliance

Field Office: Bacalar, Quintana Roo, Mexico