[Coral-List] new book with lots of photos showing what the Caribbean was like

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Fri May 5 18:26:41 UTC 2023

Hi Alina:

I am totally in agreement. I have hundreds (thousands?) of dated photos
(and vertical video with scale) from St. Croix, Puerto Rico, and  the
Dominican Republic plus others from many other sites throughout the
tropics. Many are vertical and could  be subjected to some sort of
point-counting regimen. I am in the process of handing all my cores and
logs over to a young reef scientist so their usefulness will live on. I
wish there was a more systematic way of doing such things. A long time ago,
the paleo community set up the paleo-botany database (PBDB) for people to
enter their data. There was an effort to get NSF support but I don't think
it was successful and had to be run on a more ad hoc basis. It would be a
real shame to lose these records before folks who could provide useful
contextual information are gone.

Denny

On Thu, May 4, 2023 at 4:46 PM Alina Szmant via Coral-List <