[Coral-List] Diadema and sea level rise

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Fri May 12 19:10:48 UTC 2023

  Dear readers, Here are some observations that may relate to the
Diadema situation. When I began spearfishing in the Florida Keys in the
late 1950s (I was a biology  student at University of Miami) One of my
prime targets was Hog Fish, sold in markets as Hog Snapper. All the
large Hog Fish had a dozen or more purple dots on their forehead and
around mouth area. When I gutted them before selling to markets and
restaurants their most common stomach content were bits of urchin tests.
One day I came upon a Hog fish carefully removing the spines from a
Diadema. I just watched and it became clear what caused the purple dots
on the fishes head area. When almost all the spines had been removed the
fish, known for its large expandable mouth swallowed the test in one
gulp. After the Caribbean-wide Diadema die-off in 1983, the purple dots
on the fish disappeared. It became obvious why the dots were missing.
Their favorite meals were gone. Curiously I have never seen this noted
in any publications.
       Another observation that Harold Hudson and I noted back then was
that the largest fattest Hog fish were located off the upper Keys,
especially off Elliot Key and Key largo. These were the areas of most
abundant live coral and lush Turtle grass. He had noted that off the
middle keys in the vicinity of Grassy Key, Long Key, and opposite the 7
mile bridge area, the Hog Fish were generally smaller and thinner and
few had the purple dots.  The areas off the middle keys also had less
live coral, large sandy areas and noticeably less Turtle grass. and also
fewer Diadema. Farther southward, including off Key West, the Hog fish
were a little larger but seldom as large as those off the upper Keys. In
later years working with Robert N. Ginsburg we attributed the lack of
lush reefs and sparse Turtle grass off the middle keys to runoff from
Florida Bay (especially off 7 mile bridge area) during low tide. We also
noted that the water depth in the middle and lower keys is deeper than
off the upper keys. We were not the first to notice this. During the
Holocene sea level rise the middle and lower keys were the first to to
be affected by the more saline bay water than areas off Key largo were
there are fewer tidal channels. We determined that outflow of bay water
retarded or prevented development of coral growth. We published these
observation several times in the past and attributed the deeper depth to
the south to subsidence. Subsidence is suggested by several
observations. The Pleistocene oolite limestone under Miami is 20 or more
feet above sea level while the same age oolite under Key West is only
about 10 ft above sea level. There are other evidences of differential
subsidence toward the south as well. Evidences of subsidence and
distribution of coral reefs are detailed in,  "Geology of the Florida
Keys" 2018, Shinn and Lidz, University press of Florida. The book is
available on Amazon and at Fossil Reef State Park on Windley Key.
Whether the observations have significance to the recent Diadema die-off
I do not know. Gene