[Coral-List] JOB! Restoration Bioinformatician

David Michael Baker dmbaker at hku.hk
Mon May 22 09:07:51 UTC 2023

Dear Friends,

Please see below a job advert for Archireef also linked at https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3591504718.

I am happy to answer any questions from interested applicants.

Thanks for sharing with your networks!

—Dave

About the job

At Archireef, we offer climate solutions to restore degraded marine ecosystems. Our products sit at the junction of eco-engineering, material science, and data analysis. As we continue to grow, we’re now looking to hire a cluster of researchers who are eager to uncover the next generation of restoration methods and assessments of marine biodiversity, and to eventually convert the findings to an economically applicable framework.

The project seeks to extract big, raw data from Archireef’s work in the ocean, convert this data to structured insights, and then, align those insights with the world’s leading accountability frameworks when it comes to assessing biodiversity. In doing so, Archireef’s hiring requirements will include a Marine Biologist, a Bioinformatician, an ESG Research Analyst, and a Product Engineer. If you love the rewarding challenge of establishing efficiency in uncharted territory, we want to hear from you.

Responsibilities

  *   Assess the biodiversity and monitor ecosystem change using eDNA at the study sites
  *   Integrate eco-morpho-genetic data to assess ecosystem functioning
  *   Lead development of marine biodiversity assessments and multivariate analyses
  *   Research and identify the relationships between environmental parameters, ecosystem functioning, and biodiversity of conspicuous and cryptic fauna across a range of habitats including but not limited to coral reefs, seawalls, mangroves, and oyster beds.
  *   Manage and analyze large meta-genetic datasets for prokaryotic and eukaryotic flora and fauna - with particular emphasis on cryptic marine invertebrates.
  *   Develop or modify existing analytical pipelines to assign the closest taxonomic identifier to operational taxonomic units/amplicon sequence variants from quality controlled biodiversity databases (i.e. Barcode of Life Database)
  *   Conduct conventional statistical analyses and biodiversity indices to assess performance of treatments relative to control

Skills and Experience

  *   PhD in marine biology, marine ecology, marine environmental science, biological oceanography, or other relevant field
  *   Competent in summarizing prior research, including EIA reports and open-source databases (i.e. water quality and biodiversity)
  *   Competent in coding using Python and/or R
  *   Experience analyzing metabarcoding sequence data across broad taxa
  *   Record of peer-reviewed publications
  *   Experience in managing multifaceted projects
  *   Experience with ecosystem services valuation would be preferred

The position is based in Hong Kong, SAR of China, at the Science and Technology Park office. We can only consider candidates with postgraduate degrees in STEM-related subjects from universities that rank in the Top 100 QS World University Rankings by Subject.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David M. Baker, Ph.D.
Director, SIRMS
Associate Professor
The University of Hong Kong
Division of Ecology & Biodiversity
The Swire Institute of Marine Science
School of Biological Sciences
Kadoorie Biological Sciences Building 6S-14
Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, PRC

dmbaker at hku.hk<mailto:dmbaker at hku.hk>

www.thelifeisotopic.com<http://www.thelifeisotopic.com/>

Associate Editor, Limnology & Oceanography
Associate Editor, Proceedings of the Royal Society, B