[Coral-List] The Spread of SCTLD

Melbourne Briscoe mel at briscoe.com
Thu May 25 01:44:08 UTC 2023

It is unclear why it is surmised that divers cannot spread SCTLD. I don't
believe anyone has suggested that divers are the sole vector, so it is a
bit of a strawman argument to say that they cannot be one of the possible
vectors.
The arrival of SCTLD on Grand Cayman is a bit of a mystery, since it was
not observed (to my knowledge) at the shipping/cruising dock sites until
long after it had propagated around the island. How did it do that?

One should allow for multiple vectors of varying strength: cargo ships,
cruise ships, currents, fish, divers, dive boats, pleasure boats. It is
easy to hypothesize that cruise ships carry the disease to an island, and
then currents, fish, and divers take over. But that can be tested....
 The cargo and cruise ships would not seem to be the main vector in the
Florida reef tract or Grand Cayman, no matter how much you dislike
those ships.

I do not have the data to attempt a multi-vector analysis; does anyone?

- Mel

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 7:30 PM Todd Barber via Coral-List <