[Coral-List] Shifting Acoustic Baselines

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon May 29 18:26:04 UTC 2023

Scientists are developing acoustic baselines for a variety of aquatic environments including coral reefs.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/15/listen-to-a-toadfishs-grunt-ai-helps-decode-a-symphony-of-ocean-sounds

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/apr/12/ocean-of-noise-sonic-pollution-hurting-marine-life

This makes me wonder how acoustic baselines have shifted over time and if the trajectories of naturally produced sounds corresponds to some extent with the losses of coral cover and other marine life. One of the reef-related sounds that I’ve been missing the most lately are the deep bass,thump-like vocalizations put out by big grouper (most often in my experience) when attempting to approach them. Instinctively, I equated that sound (combined with their posture) to a lion’s roar. No doubt they were telling me “you are close enough, now back off”. Used to have such encounters regularly on Cozumel’s reefs. Don’t see them there anymore. Haven’t in many years. Local dive-masters get excited if they see any larger-sized grouper or snapper these days.

Regards,

Steve Mussman