[Coral-List] I could not stand by on Earth Day

Ellen Prager pragere at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 29 13:57:32 UTC 2024

Dear Thomas, Peter and colleagues

Agree 100% about getting the message right. As a marine scientist who has focused my efforts on public communications for quite a while, let me identify a giant obstacle that makes being a science/coral reef “publicist” nearly impossible - funding.
Who pays for people to speak out for the public good, spend their time writing, creating videos, going on-air, and speaking when you are not doing PR for an organization, not publicizing a specific study at an Institution or agency. I have been very fortunate to have some side jobs in the past that allowed me to write, work with the media, and do a lot of public speaking. I’ve also been fortunate to get some small grants (thank you) and to work with organizations that sometimes pay for travel.

My fiance and former broadcast meteorologist Dave Jones and I have a book coming out in October with Columbia University Press: Megalodons, Mermaids, and Climate Change: Answers to your ocean and atmosphere questions. We have a chapter on coral reefs that addresses the crisis that started years ago and is reaching a catastrophe now and how while coral restoration is part of an effort to save what is left, if the background conditions are unsuitable for coral growth, no amount of restoration and replanting will help. We use easy to understand language, some humor in the book, and have lots of media contacts that have expressed interest. We very much hope to be science “publicists” including for coral reefs. We were very fortunate to get grants from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and NASA Heliophysics to write the book….but finding funding to publicize it, go on a speaking tour etc is proving difficult - we have not given up. It’s not about selling books (which most people think - believe me you rarely make $$ on popular science books), but about engaging the public and improving understanding and critical thinking. We are both very experienced public speakers and love interacting with audiences and making science engaging. I hope we will be able to help increase the public’s understanding of what is going on with coral reefs and to support policies and investment to curb emissions and combat climate change (as well as other detrimental activities harming the ocean and atmosphere).

Keep up the fight.

Sincerely
Ellen

Ellen Prager, PhD
Earth2Ocean, Inc/StormCenter Communications
Recently Released: Escape Undersea
@elprager