[Coral-List] Decline of Red Sea coral reefs

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 17:07:00 UTC 2024

Thanks Joseph for the video. There is no doubt about climate change's
effect on coral reefs of the world. However, the Red Sea also has high
traffic for maritime navigation and unsustainable development (Ports
enlargement, oil transportation, etc). We have verified reports from
different scuba diving operators who have been monitoring the coral reefs
of the Red Sea for years even in protected areas and also
noticing degradation.

Just by clicking on google the potential causes you will find explanations
as the following: "Human populations along the coasts of the Red Sea use
the sea as a resource (fishing, transportation, bioactive materials,
tourism, etc.), but often overexploit it or misuse it, resulting in compromised
coral health and lower resistance to global disturbances (such as warming
and acidification)".

Also e.g. of scientific citations: Cumulative Effects of Nutrient
Enrichment and Elevated Temperature Compromise the Early Life History
Stages of the Coral *Acropora tenuis*

   - Adriana Humanes,
   - Sam H. C. Noonan,
   - Bette L. Willis,
   - Katharina E. Fabricius,
   - Andrew P. Negr

 https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0161616

*Overview of diseases affecting corals in the Red Sea*

   - Black band disease (BBD). ...
   - White syndromes (WS). ...
   - Endolithic hypermycosis (EH). ...
   - Skeletal eroding band (SEB). ...
   - Growth anomalies (GA). ...
   - Focal bleached patches. ...
   - Histology shows healthy tissues compromised and presence of CAMAs. ...
   - Coral taxa differ in disease susceptibility.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0246854

Recently a "new" war: “The Red Sea has become a hotspot of geopolitical
tension due to Houthi militants targeting commercial vessels, with over 33
attacks reported since 19 November 2023. These disruptions threaten a key
maritime route essential for a significant share of global container
traffic and over $1 trillion in annual merchandise". 12/21/2023 | 5m 47s |
One of the world's top trading routes, the Suez Canal, is essentially
closed for business to many shipping companies. That's because Houthi
rebels in Yemen have been attacking ships in response to Israel's war in
Gaza".

All the best,

Nohora Galvis
International Coral Reef Observatory, ICRO
DOALOS Expert on cumulative effects affecting coral reefs
Former ICRS WORLD REEF AWARD
Follow us on https://www.facebook.com/ICRObservatory/
Twitter https://twitter.com/ICR_Observatory/
Instagram.com/ICR_Observatory and Youtube ICR_Observatory