[Coral-List] Screed from Mike

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 14 19:32:37 UTC 2024

Happy Birthday Mike!

I would like to use the occasion to air one of my pet peeves.

It seems to me that the coral science community does not take full advantage of the experience and wisdom of the many senior scientists who have been on the front lines of coral reef research for decades. We have lost a number of prominent voices recently and I’m not sure that the full value of their collective knowledge has been appreciated or utilized as it should.

“ . . . can the current strategies for coral reef restoration succeed without factoring water quality into the restoration formula” ?

I would think that there is no longer any question about that.

If we are to have any chance to save the world’s coral reefs we must first effectively address water quality issues and warming oceans . . . (and dare I say, over-fishing too!)

And let me add that to date, I don’t see any indication that the shift (to those priorities) is on.

Warm regards,

Steve Mussman

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail