[CDHC] Public Comment period announced for Proposed ESA Rule for Elkhorn & Staghorn Corals

Cheryl Woodley cheryl.woodley at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 14 11:31:55 EST 2007

Dear CDHC List Members:
You may want to take this opportunity to participate in the public
comment period for the Caribbean Acroporids.
Cheryl

NOAA Fisheries Service is seeking public comments on a proposed rule to
further protect elkhorn and staghorn corals, which we listed as
threatened under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) on May 9, 2006.  This
proposed rule, called a 4(d) rule (after section 4(d) of the ESA),
details prohibitions necessary to provide for the conservation of these
two coral species.  Specifically, the proposed 4(d) rule would prohibit
import, export, take, and all commercial activities involving either of
these threatened species.

The public comment period for this proposed rule ends on March 13th,
2008.  Attached to this email, please find the Federal Register notice
for the proposed rule.  Additional information is available on our
website at http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/esa/acropora.htm.  A press
release is forthcoming.  If you would like a copy of any of these
documents emailed, mailed, or faxed to you, please contact me with your
request (see contact information below).  Additionally, if you have any
questions, do not hesitate to contact me.  Your participation in the
public comment process is strongly encouraged.  Instructions for
providing comments on this action are included in the Federal Register
notice.

--
Cheryl Woodley, Ph.D.
Coral Health and Disease Program

DOC/NOAA/NOS/NCCOS
Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research
Hollings Marine Laboratory
331 Fort Johnson Rd
Charleston, SC 29412
843.762.8862 Phone