Coral Spawning

aszmant at rsmas.miami.edu aszmant at rsmas.miami.edu
Wed Aug 16 09:58:37 EDT 1995

Last night we observed several large colonies of Acropora palmata spawn on a
reef at the sothern end of Biscayne National Park, Florida.  Bundle
formation began ca. 10 pm and most of the spawning was between 10:30 and 11
pm.  Most of the colonies on the reef did not spawn.  We'd be interested in
hearing about other observations of Acropora spawning (there was no A.
cervicornis on our reef but it was expected to spawn at about the same
time).  We are expecting Montastraea spawning over the next 3 nights with
Thursday night (August 17) being the most likely (again 10:30 - 11:30 pm).
Dr. Alina M. Szmant
RSMAS-MBF, University of Miami
4600 Rickenbacker Cswy.
Miami FL 33149